Monday, April 9, 2012

Inspiration Challenge: Soul-Flower

Today is day #100 of the year!  I am almost 1/3 of the way to my goal!

This week's Inspiration challenge was the online store Soul-Flower, which sells mainly clothing plus some accessories with a boho/hippie chick vibe.  I put on my nicest pair of hemp pants and got to work.

This dress's color combination and stylized wave graphic grabbed my attention:


It made me think of some wonderful surfboard designer paper in my stash.  The paper is double-sided with a similar shaped wave design on the back side.  Double sided papers are excellent because they automatically coordinate!  Here is the (completely non-stamped) card that resulted:


I love how this card turned out!  Just makes me happy to look at it.  I got to use some yellow ribbon that was a fairly recent addition to my collection, plus these juicy-colored buttons that I've had forever.  Oops I lied about it being stamp-free--the "hello" text is stamped on the background paper (stamp by Studio G).  Love the way the font matches the writing on the surfboard underneath!

This also reminds me of another reason why clear/unmounted stamps are awesome:  the actual text on this stamp was "hello friend", but I only wanted to use the "hello" part.  Careful inking is one solution but it can be really hard to avoid getting any trace of ink on the part you don't want to use.  With the unmounted stamps, I just snipped the text in half!  I can use both together if I want the whole thing, or use them separately.  Plus since the Studio G stamps are only $1 at Michael's, it's easy enough to replace it if I somehow messed it up.

But I wasn't finished with this site!  This yoga hoodie inspired me next:


Turquoise and brown is a favorite color combination of mine.  And coincidentally, the flower stamp that came along with the "hello friend" text stamp looks quite a bit like the graphic on this shirt, and I had some lovely white/turquoise/green paper that I have been itching to use.  Hence:


I stamped the image on a scrap of white cardstock using light green ink and punched it out with a round circle punch, then mounted it on kraft cardstock and trimmed it close.  I used a strip of brown designer paper on the bottom edge of the card, and small circle motif paper for the top part.  I trimmed the lower edge of the circle paper with a pair of mini-scallop craft scissors, then added the aqua ribbon and mounted the flower medallion with foam tape.  Finished off with three more of those juicy buttons.  Feels very summery to me, and will probably make a nice Mother's Day card.

No comments:

Post a Comment