The air is yellow in Georgia, so it must truly be spring now. And in honor of the season, today I have a bounty of butterflies and flowers.
This card was made for two challenges, both posted on Monday March 19th. One is the weekly "Try a new Technique" challenge, in which we were to make a card using a cropped image, in other words, cutting out a section of a stamped image. The second was the clean and simple challenge, which provided a card to use as a sketch. I combined both:
The butterfly image is from a Bugs and Butterflies set of clear stamps by Inkadinkado. I started by adding the background paper (Deja Views) to a premade card, and stamping the image in black ink. Then I cut the rectangles of yellow green paper and stamped the image again in green ink. I layered it onto a scrap of different green paper and attached it to the card so that the images lined up. It's a great effect for very little effort, and the motion of the stamp shape adds to it. I finished by stamping the sentiment (Michael's Studio G).
Tuesdays include a teapot challenge, where the organizer shares a photo of a teapot made in some funky shape and gives us the assignment to use that element in our cards. The cards are usually intended for a specific recipient who needs some cheering up. This week the recipient is someone who is having a birthday, and who likes butterflies, so we were tasked with making a card that had butterflies, with bonus points for birthday themes.
Here is the card I made:
The card base was actually a card I received with something I had bought on line that included a nice little note from the seller. I kept the note side of the card and cut the front and inside edge (flowered green and pink dotted paper) off and put them on one of my cards. Then I waited for the proper inspiration to finish this card off. I found it with this butterfly birthday card! My cake is from a Stampendous birthday set, but I wanted to perch a butterfly on top and the image has the word HAPPY plus a bunch of candles, so I first stamped the image on pink paper and cut out just the cake. Then I decorated the cake my own way. I punched small circles out of the speckled paper and cut the circles in half, and added them to the cake to look like scallops of icing. Some glitter glue finished off the icing. I used a stencil to cut out an oval shape in green paper and backed it with pink, trimming it close. I stamped the butterfly in pink chalk ink and lined the cake up under it and attached it with mounting tape. Then I stamped the butterfly again in brighter pink on a white scrap and cut it out and popped it up over the cake.
To complete the card, I stamped the sentiments on green scraps cut into smaller ovals and a banner shape, and layered them onto closely trimmed pink paper to echo the center oval. I attached the banner at the top, ran some pink rickrack across the bottom and attached the oval over the rickrack. Whew! I hope the lady who gets this card enjoys it!
The butterfly stamp is of unknown origin, and the papers are Basic Grey and cardstock.
I was on a roll, so I made another butterfly card:
I have been trying to get more adventurous with combining patterned papers, and a great way to do it is to start with a coordinated set so the papers already match each other. These papers are all from the Basic Grey "Out of Print" line. I also used a stencil for card making that I got years ago but hadn't played with much. It lets me cut out shapes that are already the right size to make a sort of quilt pattern on the card, which is much easier than a lot of trial and error with my paper cutter! Even though it looks complicated, the card came together pretty quickly, and I love the way the papers look together. I stamped the large butterfly (from the Bugs and Butterflies set again) in black on the card front, and then again on pink paper. I cut out the wings and layered them over the image on the card front. I finished it off with the sentiment (Stampin Up) in the upper right corner.
To finish off, I will show you some older cards I made way back, but recently found again. I don't have much to say about these, as they are fairly straightforward.
The sentiment is an older Stampin Up stamp, and the images are recycled from a Mary Englelbreit page-a-day calendar. Just a nice basic happy springtime card!
And here is an autumnal card:
I was experimenting with making a different size card, longer and narrower, as well as with using something other than stamps for the main images. In this case it was stickers, I believe from EK Success. I like this card, and need to play more with cards of varying sizes and shapes!
Just a few more days and I will be all caught up! Thanks for looking, and have a great day!