As promised/threatened, here is another post for today. I want to show off the two cards I have made so far today! I'm pretty pleased with both.
First is a card I made to undertake two different Monday challenges: the Clean and Simple challenge, which called for using letters in our cards; and the Try a New Technique challenge. The Try a New Technique challenge had an option of doing two different things, picking one or the other or using both. I picked "the other." This is the "see through image"--basically an image is stamped and then a shape is cut out around it so that the stamped image touches the sides of the frame but the rest is cut away. I chose to use the combined challenges to make my second Christmas/holiday card for June:
I started with a plain white card and cut a piece of Fancy Pants designer paper to fit, leaving a 1/8" or so border. I found a square stamp in my collection with a wood mount the right size to make a window around my image and traced it in light pencil, then stamped the ornaments image (Imaginisce) in light green ink. Next I took my Xacto knife and cut out the square, going around the ornaments so that they "hang" from the top edge. I cut a square of light green paper just a bit larger than the window and attached it to the white card, then used foam tape to mount the pink designer paper on top of it. I added the letter stickers to spell out "joy" at the bottom. Finally I decided that it was a little plain even for a clean and simple card, so I outlined the window with silver glitter glue, and decorated the ornaments with stick-on rhinestones (Martha Stewart). I am so happy to be playing with some less traditional Christmas colors for a bit!
I also tackled this week's Mojo Monday sketch:
I was going through my scrap boxes to decide on papers to use--I knew I wanted a really vibrant mix of patterns for this card, and once again I found myself drawn to my current obsession, turquoise blue and orange. I picked out some partially used sheets and found some embellishments to go with, and got to work. Here is the finished project:
I stuck to the sketch pretty closely. Again I started with a white card and covered it with some background paper. I inked the edges using Colorbox cocoa. I decided to use black under the layering pieces so that I could pile on patterns and have them set off from each other. When I cut the black pieces out I made them a little bit long on the bottom side, and punched the bottom edge with my Fiskars "threading water" border punch. I attached the longer layer first and then added the square layer with foam tape.
I read an interview today in a Cards magazine back issue from last June, and the artist interviewed (Michelle Phillipi) said something that was still rumbling around my head as I worked--she said she comes from the "more is more" school of thought on layers and embellishments, and one of her tips is to add embellishments to embellishments, so I tried that here. For the focal image I layered a paper flower on the bottom, then stacked a turquoise felt flower, and a smaller paper flower (all paper flowers by Studio 18, in the dollar bins at Michaels; the felt flower and rhinestone flower are from a Chatterbox Artsylicious set). At this point I put a brad through them to hold them together, and then glued the rhinestone flower to the top of the brad with a glue dot. I used a couple more glue dots to attach the flower to the card. Then I added some orange ribbon across the top and covered the knot with the smallest of the paper flowers and layered an orange button and a turquoise blue pearl bead. Sometimes more is more! I normally would have stopped with the brad on the big flower and the button on the small flower but adding one more thing made it look better, I have to agree with Michelle!
Thanks for looking, enjoy the rest of your day!