Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Card Patterns #148 Purple Valentine

I frequently find card inspirations from something that doesn't turn out quite right.  I will make a background or focal piece or embellishment for a card and end up setting it aside, and when I rediscover it, it will inspire a card of its own to better suit it.

That's what happened in this case.  I stamped the Rubber Stampede heart in Adirondack eggplant ink, and added some bluish-purple glitter glue.  Once it all dried, it didn't seem right for the card I was working on (though in the end, nothing turned out well on that card, as you can see in yesterday's entry).  So I set it aside and when I came to putter at my table this morning, it had ended up on a partial sheet of purple background paper that went well with it.  But that was all I had, not enough for a complete card yet.

Searching for inspiration, I came across the CardPatterns blog and its most recent sketch challenge, Sketch 148.  The purple background paper was perfect for the 4-strip background, and cutting it apart with another layer underneath broke up the monotony of the background alone.  I ended up not following the sketch precisely because the rest of the embellishments didn't quite work for my design (putting the flower by the heart kept looking like a barette or flower behind the ear somehow).  But I loved the sketch and loved having my unloved little glittery heart from yesterday's session get redeemed on its own card that fits so much better:



As mentioned, the stamped image is Rubber Stampede.  I think this is the first heart-shaped stamp I ever bought and it still seems to be my go-to Valentine's image!  I don't know the origins of the various papers in the layers except for the bottom piece, which is a watercolor-look floral from Keeping Memories Alive/Simple Expressions.  While it made a good background here, I will have to find a way to put this gorgeous paper front and center on another card soon!

The trim (Trimtex) came from the aisle in Hobby Lobby where they sell the paints and bling for customizing t-shirts and bags and the like.  If I look hard enough, I can find something for my paper addiction in any aisle of the craft store!  I was excited to find a use for this as it was one of those clearance sale finds that has languished in my stash for several years.

The banner is from K & Company from the current Valentine's collection.  The brad is Making Memories, and the flower is from a deconstructed dollar store flower.

I recently returned to morning watch (the overnight shift from midnight to 8 AM) on my "day job" and was worried that it would get in the way of this project, but unwinding after work with a little mesing around at the craft table works as well at 9 AM as it does at 5 PM, thank goodness!

1 comment:

  1. Great card, love the purple, thanks for joining us at Card Patterns this week.

    ReplyDelete