Monday, January 23, 2012

More Challenges!

I am continuing to be inspired and motivated by the challenges that appear daily on Splitcoaststampers.  Yesterday I took on the Featured Stamper challenge.  This is where one member of Splitcoaststampers is named the "Featured Stamper" for the week, and the challenge is to view that person's gallery and pick a card to use as an inspiration for your card.  Unlike some of the challenges, the connection to the inspiration has to be pretty strong because you are supposed to describe exactly what you changed from the Featured Stamper's card onto your own.

This week's Featured Stamper is Kim Hahn, AKA Luv Flowers.  She has posted over 900 creations on the site!  It took me awhile to figure out which card I wanted to use as my inspiration but I enjoyed going through the gallery while I was deciding.

This is the card I made:



I used the same basic structure as my inspiration card, but substituted a different color scheme and used a flower sticker rather than a stamp.  The "stitches" around the sticker are actually rub-ons (Doodlebug Designs).  I got to hit the stash for several stickers that I had been wanting to use:  the flower sticker is a "Softly Spoken" design from Me and My Big Ideas; the definition sticker is from Making Memories, and the small chipboard button and heart are from Crate Paper.  The background paper is from Basic Grey's Cupcake line.  I love the paper that looks like cookie or icing sprinkles.

This card is also a birthday card for our niece who turns 17 (ack!  it seems like only yesterday she was a toddler jumping on the bed to wake me up!) this week, and who is definitely a "Delight"!

A second card came together from one of those serendipitous moments when several pieces of paper or embellishment end up in a pile together and show a combination that I never would have thought of on my own:



 In this case, a scrap of gold-foiled Valentine's Day paper from Sandy Lion ended up on top of sheets of red and blue background paper from that Basic Grey Cupcake pad.  Dark red with tomato red?  Blue on a Valentine's Day card?  But I kept looking at it and playing with it and decided I really liked it.  Then I realized the piece of Valentine paper didn't need any further addition of sentiments as the paper happened to have been cut in a way that put "Love Thinking of You" right in the center of the piece.  I added three metallic gold paper hearts from Jolee's, popped up on mounting tape, and called it done.  I especially like that one heart forming an end to the spiral of gold foiling on the paper.  Super easy card that looks like it took more effort than it did--gotta love those!

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment