Monday, February 20, 2012

Inspiration Challenge: Creative Wallcovering

I skipped last week's Splitcoaststampers' Inspiration Challenge but this week's inspirational site was pretty cool: a wallpaper site called Creative Wallcovering.  Since the wallcoverings include things like murals and cutouts and quotations and textured papers, there was quite a variety of inspirations.

The available items include Wallies, which are pre-glued wallpaper cutouts sold in various themed packages and advertised as being usable on virtually any surface.  This reminded me that I had picked up a couple of packages of Wallies on clearance a few years back, intending to use them as stickers for cards, but had never gotten around to it.  So rather than making cards based on creative wallcoverings, I ended up making them out of the wallcoverings themselves!

Here are the cards:



The first is a sort of "congratulations on your new dog" card, because the exuberant dog wallie coordinated well with some pet-themed scrapbook paper I had on hand, and I went from there.  I think this card would be a good general "congratulations/good job!" kind of card with a different background paper, but otherwise the same.  The dog just looks so happy and excited!

The second uses three different flowers and got a little crowded but I still like it.  Both cards are on the larger size pre-cut cards generally available, which I think are around 5x7" rather than 4.25"x5.5".  The wallies are just too big for smaller cards.

For both cards, I decided to go ahead and activate the adhesive using water, then stick them to cardstock and cut out the shapes with an X-acto knife.  They would probably work on their own, but that risks having the card turn into a slimy mess if it ever got a little wet.  I had to experiment a little to get the right amount of water--using a small sponge wrung out well worked the best, as well as allowing them to dry completely so that the adhesive was completely bonded before starting to cut.

After that I just layered the wallies onto the cards with foam tape.  The pet-themed paper on the dog card is from KI Memories and the "congratulations" stamp is from Hero Arts.  The designer paper that the text is stamped on is actually the reverse side of the pet paper.  I finished it with some ribbons and brads.

The background paper on the "Bloom" card is from s.e.i. and I love it.  I'm sorry I only got one sheet of it because it's very pretty and versatile.  I accented the flowers with flower buttons from Making Memories.  The text is my first experiment with stamping a word using individual letters from a new lower-case cursive alphabet I got recently.  I really like how the letters are shaped to make it easy to hook them together.  Not sure of the manufacturer because this is another set from the large box of used clear stamps I recently acquired, but if anyone recognizes them, I'd love to know who made them.

Thanks for looking, hope your week is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment