Saturday, February 11, 2012

On a Roll

My card for February 8th is a birthday card based on a sketch in the current issue of Papercrafts magazine (sorry, no online pic of the sketch!).



I started with an ivory card and rounded the corners, then inked the edges and sponged light brown ink onto the card for an "antiqued" look.  I added a strip of designer paper down the folded edge (it's hard to see but the paper has raised/glittered surfaces) after sponging some light brown ink onto the paper to tone it down as well, and inking the edges.

The flower chains are Doodlebug rub-ons, I just rubbed them on, leaving openings for the flower gems to be added afterwards.  I glued on the "bling" flowers and stamped the birthday greeting (Stampin' Up Wow Flowers) in the lower right hand corner with pink chalk ink.  I finished it off with a rhinestone in the center of the flower.

My card for February 9th was in response to a SCS challenge to make your own striped background using strips of paper.  I also incorporated a second challenge, which was to make a card about fish or fishing.



I started with a piece of brown textured cardstock, cut just a little smaller than the card I was using.  Then I went to my scrap drawer and pulled out an assortment of brown and brown-green toned papers and cut strips off the likeliest ones.  Since fish and fishing were involved, I had to mix in the paper with the bugs on it!  Then I played with the strips til I had a pattern I liked with a mix of solids and patterns that blended into a background with a pond sort of feel.  A tape runner made quick work of gluing down the strips, then I just trimmed the ends and attached the piece to the card, adding some brads in the corners to finish it off.

I didn't have any fishing stamps so I settled for some fish.  The fish stamp is a batik-style stamp from Impression Obsession, an image I love but haven't done nearly enough with.  I stamped the fish twice on another scrap of designer paper, attached them with mounting tape and was finished.  I love the way it looks like the fish are swimming through a background of reeds or pond vegetation.

Both cards went into a set I am donating as a door prize at a neighborhood function this afternoon.  I hope the winner likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment